Reilly Callahan's 12 Days of Giving Page
This year was… crazy. As I reflect on the chaos, I see the moments worth celebrating. I see the sense of unity among the isolation. I see loved ones who, while living apart, are reconnecting through virtual means. I see my local LGBT+ community coming together to support impactful, intersectional change in our area and nationally. I see these 10 reasons why I’m proud of my community’s actions in 2020:
- We delivered more than 200 healthy food and care packages to LGBT+ youth in need when grocery store supplies were low
- We testified on the urgency and necessity of state- and local-level police reform after the public disclosure of several terrifying and unjust acts of police violence across the country and in our own city of Allentown
- We worked with our local health bureau to provide dozens of free flu vaccines without residency or insurance requirements
- We collaborated with experts and officials to increase access to essential social, mental, and sexual health resources for vulnerable communities during the the COVID-19 pandemic
- We thwarted attempts to limit LGBT+ rights, like when Northampton County Council attempted to put LGBT+ civil rights up for a public vote, when the current presidential administration attempted to remove healthcare discrimination protections from the Affordable Care Act, and more
- We transformed Lehigh Valley Pride into a three-hour televised event and proudly celebrated with over 10,000 people from across the world
- We financially supported Black LGBT+ youth leading grassroots activism in intersectional racial justice movements
- We collaborated with Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to make sure LGBT Pennsylvanians would be counted in COVID-19 infection data and trained hundreds of contract tracers on LGBT+ cultural awareness and equity
- We quickly converted our community groups and arts programs to virtual platforms when stay-at-home orders exacerbated feelings of isolation
- We came together and helped one another to register to vote, to apply for mail-in ballots, and to make arrangements to vote safely
We have so much to be proud of. Let’s keep that momentum going as we close out the year, because a better 2021 can’t happen without collective and individual action. Together, we can forge a better future.
To keep doing whatever it takes to support, empower, and demand justice for LGBTQ people, we need to raise $24,000 from individuals in the final 12 days of 2020. I'm asking you if you can participate with a donation of $42 or more to help me reach my personal goal of $1,000.
Thank you for your love, support, and time. I’m wishing you all a safe, healthy, and happy close to 2020.
P.S. If your employer matches charitable donations, please don't forget to let them know about your gift as well!