NOTE: All visitors to Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center must wear a mask. Please read our full COVID-19 policy here.
The LGBT Library at Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center features more than 2,500 books, CDs and DVDs celebrating LGBTQ+ literature, history, community, and culture!
For specific requests or inquires, please contact Gabby Hochfeld, Arts & Culture Programs Coordinator, at [email protected].
Recognized by the Allentown Arts Commission with the 2018 Arts Ovation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Literary Arts
Our collection includes:
- poetry and plays
- young adult books
- books for children of LGBTQ+ families
- biographies and memoirs
- other non-fiction
- CDs by LGBTQ+ artists
Community members are invited to borrow items from the library and LGBTQ+ authors are invited to donate copies of their books. Authors or publishers interested in donating a new book should mail a copy to: Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center, ATTN: Library, 522 West Maple Street, Allentown, PA 18101.
Our library frequently hosts community book discussions and author visits at the center.
Funding has been provided in part by the American Rescue Plan. American Rescue Plan: Humanities Grants for Libraries is an initiative of the American Library Association (ALA) made possible with funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
Upcoming library events include:
May 17: Queer Poetry Reading Group: A Quilt for David
June 14: Queer Memoir Reading Group: All Boys Aren't Blue
June 21: Queer Poetry Reading Group: The Year of Blue Water
The Library at Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center is proud to have hosted dozens of events with notable LGBTQ+ authors:
- Peter Staley (Never Silent)
- Anne Balay (Steel Closets: Voices of Gay, Lesbian & Transgender Steelworkers)
- Renee Bess (Our Happy Hours: LGBT Voices from the Gay Bars)
- Robin Gow (A Million Quiet Revolutions)
- Kay Haring (Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing)
- Austen Hartke (Transforming: the Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians)
- Patrick Horrigan (Pennsylvania Station)
- A.S. King (I Crawl Through It)
- Joy Ladin (The Soul of the Stranger: Reading God and Torah from a Transgender Perspective)
- Jay Michaelson (God vs Gay: The Religious Case for Equality)
- Dee Michel (Friends of Dorothy: Why Gay Boys and Gay Men Love the Wizard of Oz)
- David Pratt (Wallaçonia)
- Cindy Rizzo (The Papercutter)
- Rev. Brandan Robertson (Nomad)
- Eric Rosswood (The Ultimate Guide for Gay Dads)
- Hugh Ryan (When Brooklyn Was Queer)
- Mark Segal (And Then I Danced: Traveling the Road to LGBT Equality)
- Vincent Stephens (Rocking the Closet: How Little Richard, Johnny Ray, Liberace, and Johnny Mathis Queered Pop Music)
- Rae Theodore (Leaving Normal: Adventures in Gender)
- Jason Whitesel (Fat Gay Men: Girth, Mirth & The Politics of Stigma)
- Brian Zepka (The Temperature of Me and You)