Zakkery Rome's 12 Days of Giving Page
To my family and friends,
In this season of giving, instead of a typical holiday gift, I am asking all of you to give to an organization that goes above and beyond to help those who have faced barriers to health, happiness, success, and love. I am hoping each and everyone of you will donate to Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center, who has become such a massive supporter, advocate, and resource for LGBT people in just a few short years. As with any other non-profit, Bradbury-Sullivan fulfills its goals purely through the selfless and generous donations of individuals and organizations. In these current times, our work is more important than ever and we will need as much help and support as we can muster to continue to strengthen, enrich, and heal the community we serve.
That is why I am asking you to make a donation of $85 or an amount with which you are comfortable to the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center. This will help us reach our goal of raising $12,000 before the start of the new decade in the next 12 days. Of course we of all people understand these are difficult times, so a donation in any amount you are able to give is extremely appreciated. To help you understand more about Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center, here are 12 reasons why it is such an important organization:
- Bradbury-Sullivan serves a large area of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as we are one of very few LGBT centers in the area.
- We are not afraid to take on large bodies in defense of equity, as in the case of taking part in the successful lawsuit of the Trump Administration’s Denial of Care Rule, which would have prevented access to healthcare for millions of LGBT Americans.
- We provide such a wide range of programs and services to the community, including arts and culture programs, health services, youth programs, and much more.
- Our LGBT center responds and adapts to the various needs of the community whether that be in creating a free legal clinic, organizing support groups, and training organizations, companies, and agencies on how to provide affirming and supportive services to the LGBT community.
- The Center provides welcoming and affirming environments in local athletics with the Pride Nights of the local sports teams, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (baseball) and Lehigh Valley Phantoms (hockey).
- Bradbury-Sullivan supports local LGBT artists who are often overlooked and ignored in the mainstream art world by showcasing their work in our Fine Art Galleries and inviting the community to engage and connect with the artists who use our community center to launch their careers.
- We host free and welcoming monthly film screenings of indie and arthouse LGBT films that are not shown in the major cineplexes or discussed in mainstream media.
- The Center has created leading edge health equity campaigns to raise awareness and break barriers in health for the LGBT community, including HIV/STI services, cancer screenings, and substance abuse cessation.
- Our building contains an entire level for LGBT youth who have faced homelessness, violence, and unsupportive families through programming designed to help them live happy, healthy, and active lives.
- The Center has a strong voice not just in the community, but in local governments as well. Through our hard work, we have assisted local cities to pass non-discrimination ordinances and bans on the extremely harmful practice of conversion therapy.
- We provide an extensive and voluminous library of LGBT literature, films, and music for the community to enjoy, most of which are not found in local public libraries.
- Bradbury-Sullivan has created and sustained jobs for LGBT people working in advocacy which is almost non-existent in the United States. Something for which I personally have been extremely grateful and happy.
I want to thank each and everyone of you for your donation and support in our 12 Days of Giving, which is tax deductible! And from all of us at Bradbury-Sullivan we wish the happiest and safest of holidays and brightest of futures in 2020!
P.S. If your employer matches charitable donations, please don't forget to let them know about your gift as well!