Recognized by the PA Office of Rural Health as the 2017 Rural Health Program of the Year
LGBT people have always needed to be our own healthcare advocates, and today is no different. Our community experiences health challenges at increased rates as a result of higher risk behaviors, which are caused in part by social and cultural experiences with discrimination, minority stress, and familial homophobia/transphobia. These higher risk behaviors lead to worsened health outcomes if we don't take our health into our own hands!
Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center believes that LGBT people deserve health equity: the attainment of the highest levels of health and wellness available today. In that spirit, The Center develops leading-edge health promotion programs focused on eliminating health disparities related to tobacco, cancer, HIV and diabetes within the Lehigh Valley LGBT Community. We also provide critical on-site supportive services for the entire LGBT community, as well as specific services only available for income-qualified people living with HIV. Lastly, we promote structural change that will lead to improved health and wellness for the LGBT community.
Our Health Programs and Supportive Services are informed by data, community interest, and service gaps in the region.
Our Current Programs:
Measuring Our Health: Collecting valuable LGBT health data in the Lehigh Valley and across Pennsylvania
Anal Cancer Screenings: That Ass Tho!: promoting anal cancer screening for gay & bisexual men
Ending Conversion Therapy: Protecting Lehigh Valley's LGBT youth from harmful and unscientific "Conversion Therapy"
Tobacco Prevention & Cessation: Promoting smoke-free living in the LGBT community
Sexual Health & HIV Prevention: Free & non-judgy HIV/STI testing and access to free safer-sex materials
Diabetes Prevention: Promoting healthy eating & active living in the LGBT community
Supportive Services: Support groups, LGBT legal clinic, and more
Nursing Champions for Health Equity: A leadership cohort of nurses engaging in health equity and health promotion
Our Health Programs & Supportive Services team includes:
- Adrian Shanker, Executive Director
- Atticus Ranck, M.A., Health Programs & Supportive Services Manager
- Dr. Scout, Ph.D, External Evaluator, Tobacco Program
- Aleena Bujanowski, Health Programs Intern
Health Programs & Supportive Services Advisory Committee
- Beth Careyva, M.D., Department of Family Medicine, Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Meredith Casey, Tobacco Program Manager, American Lung Association in Pennsylvania
- Elizabeth Goff, M.D., Pediatrician, Lehigh Valley Physicians Group, Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Anita Kelly, MA, CAC, LPC, Clinical Contract Advisor, Magellan Behavioral Health
- David Moyer, R.N., Retired community health nurse
- Judith Lasker, Ph.D., NEH Distinguished Professor of Sociology, Lehigh University
- Jonathan Lassiter, PhD., Assistant Professor of Psychology, Muhlenberg College
- AJ Schaffer, Trans* Health Advocate, Allentown Women's Center
- Allen C. Smith III, DNP, CRNP, ANP-BC, Owner, Novus Adult Care Services
- Patricia Sullivan, Ed.D., Retired hospital administrator
Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center is a proud & active participant in the LGBT Healthlink network. A program of Centerlink. LGBT Healthlink is a CDC-funded LGBT disparity network for tobacco & cancer.
PLEASE NOTE: Your use of information contained on this and all other pages of this website is subject to the terms and conditions more fully set forth in our Disclaimer.